Friday, February 13, 2009

Lightbulb

As a teacher you live for light bulb moments. That moment when you are working with a struggling student and you see them finally get a concept. The imaginary light bulb above their head turns on.

I am currently crowded around a table with my students. For some reason they all decided they wanted to work in main classroom with me. They tend to work and hang out in the "garage room" (used to be the garage for the house I run my program out of) because it is laid back. We have mushroom chairs and pillows and it's just plain comfy.

After break I asked them to get back to work and they all migrated to me. It's kind of cool. They are all quietly working. Each student is doing something different, but I can see their light bulbs are turning on. What is really cool is how fast they have become independent learners. You can watch them read a question and see their light bulb dim. They think about it for a while and then BAM, the light bulb comes back on. It's enough to warm a teachers heart.

If only I could reach the middle schooler who doesn't want to do anything. I am still struggling with him on a daily (more like every hour) basis. He is completely separated from the rest of his group and he has his own little desk. I wish he would continue to work if we allowed him to join our table. I know that if I allowed him to join our table he would distract the whole group. So for now I take the three light bulbs I have been given and keep praying for the dimly lit bulb who sits in the corner.

No comments: