Tuesday, February 17, 2009

No Wonder

I currently have a student in my program who is always putting himself down. Truth be told, he is one of the brightest students we have ever had. All we here him say is, "I'm stupid." We always correct him, but his put downs do get old.

My employee was reading the paper and came across and article talking about soon to be offered parenting classes. The article gave the following statistics.

1.) The average child in America receives only 12.5 minutes per day in communication with his or her parents.

2.) Of those 12.5 minutes, parents spend 8.5 minutes correcting, criticizing, or arguing.

3.) On average, a child receives 400 negative comments compared to only 32 positive comments per day.

No wonder my student can't stop putting himself down!

No comments: