Tuesday, November 23, 2010

1 Cookie, 2 Ways

I stumbled across an amazing cookie recipe. I made it for the first time last night and well, darn it, they are tasty! Here is my proof. My mom, who NEVER eats raw cookie dough, was caught sticking her finger into the batter! I tried the first version last night and you better believe I am going to attempt to make the second version tonight! So here it is!

Version 1: Vanilla with Chocolate Chunks

Ingredients

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
2-1/4 cups flour
1 pkg. (12 oz.) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks

Directions

HEAT oven to 375°F.

BEAT butter, sugars, dry pudding mix and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Add eggs and baking soda; mix well. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in chocolate.

DROP teaspoonfuls of dough, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets.

BAKE 8 to 10 min. or until golden brown. Cool 3 min. on baking sheets. Remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

My Changes
I used real butter. I only ever have real butter in the house around the holidays. Nothing makes the best pies, cookies, desserts like real butter!

I started by dropping the cookie dough on the sheet, but decided that the "peaks" were getting brown faster than the rest of the cookie. I then started rolling the dough into balls before placing them on the cookie sheet. This allowed for a more even browning on the cookie.

Next time I might actually use chocolate chips instead of the chunks. Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate as much as the next gal, but some of the cookies were full of chunks and hardly any batter.

Version #2: Chocolate with White Chocolate Chunks

Ingredients

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 (3.9 ounce) package JELL-O Chocolate Instant Pudding
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
1 (6 ounce) package BAKER'S White

Directions

HEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
BEAT butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add dry pudding mix; beat until well blended. Add eggs and baking soda; mix well. Gradually add flour, beating after each addition until well blended. Stir in chocolate.

DROP tablespoons of dough, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets.

BAKE 10 to 12 min. or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 min. on baking sheets; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

My Changes

I DO NOT like white chocolate. Heck, it's not even really chocolate! I have decided to use Reese's peanut butter chips instead. Who doesn't like chocolate and peanut butter?!

I plan on rolling the dough into balls before baking like I did with the "vanilla" version.


Ayron loves the holidays because that is the time I really hit the baking hard. I will try just about any cookie, pie, cake recipe I can find. He is always my guinea pig and it's not like he minds!

No comments: