Monday, November 22, 2010

Holiday Hoopla

Growing up, Christmas was an affair at our house. The tree, decorations, and lights went up the day after Thanksgiving. Dad would climb into the attic and pass down those terrible looking red plastic candles, curse while we untangled the lights, and mutter under his breath while we fluffed the artificial tree in an effort to make it look like it hadn't been shoved in the back of the shed for a year. Christmas music would be played and mom's carmel corn making process would begin. But that was ages ago.

I have to wonder what began to dampen our holiday spirit. My paternal grandmother died right before Christmas my freshman year in high school. The holiday's just weren't the same. We didn't drive up to her house after Christmas Eve service and listen for Santa on the police scanner. Then 3 years later my parents got divorced, and a year after that by maternal grandfather passed away. It seemed like the holidays were only a curse.

All of that still seems like ages ago, and I have my holiday spirit back, but it's a new spirit. I no longer freak out about buying the perfect gift for everyone. Why? Since when is finding the "it" gift the reason for the season? I know my view changed on December 6, 2006. That is the day my sister in law was involved in a horrible accident (I will blog my annual update later). We realized that Christmas wasn't about the presents, but about spending time together as a family. Even if it meant eating crappy hospital food.

2 years ago, Ayron and I (along with TJ) were asked to play Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus at our New Hopes Christmas Eve service. It truly was a life changing moment. Sure, we were on stage, but we were in our own little world and something hit home. The holiday is about HIM not us.

Our family (both Ayron's family and mine) has decided to shift the focus of the holidays. We spend time together, simple as that. Sure, there are some small gifts involved, but nothing like it used to be. I am grateful for that. I didn't want my children growing up thinking that toys were a staple at Christmas. We keep the budget REALLY small (I will probably only spend around $150 - $200 for everything) and just enjoy the time together. I happy that my kids will grow up not knowing any different.

I am also happy because I no longer spend the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas frantically searching sales and wrapping presents. I spend my time with my son making ornaments and baking cookies.

No comments: