Friday, May 22, 2009

They do grow fast

I don't know how many times I have heard people (when referring to babies) say, "They grow so fast." I agree, but at times I wish Taylor would grow faster.

Thursday night is yard work night at our house. After dinner I mow and Ayron tends to other yard projects. Taylor enjoys being outside and spending time with Ayron.

Last night, as I was mowing the perimeter of our property, Ayron placed TJ in his stroller in the middle of our backyard. Every time I came around the corner of the house Taylor would start waving and yelling at me. He's smile and just start babbling. I could tell he was trying to yell in an attempt to be heard over the mower.

After I had finished mowing we were hanging out in the driveway. Scooter was roaming the yard and Taylor was talking up a storm. I looked at him and it was like I was given a glance into what he would look like as a teenager. He continued to talk as I marveled at this child that we created. I realized that Taylor was silent. He was waiting on my reply. I said the standard, "Oh really? Tell me more." and he continued to talk. I then realized my Aunt L was right when she said, "Just get him potty trained and freeze him right there. He is getting too big!"

At that moment, I wished he was older. What was he really saying? It is exciting to see how much he is learning and doing on a daily basis and I cannot wait to see all that God has in store for him. I am eager for his first soccer game, first day of school, the nervousness that comes with starting the middle school, the excitement of a learner's permit, etc.

People ask me if I miss when he was small. My standard response is, "He has never been small!" But, I really don't think I do. I don't miss itty bitty diapers. I don't miss the screaming at 3am. I love the fact that he is learning to communicate (we use sign language) and learning it very fast! I love that he will sit and "read" me a story. I like watching him as he discovers simple things, like where I moved the Tupperware drawer too.

Do I want another one, sure, in time. We have talked about when we would like to start trying and we have some things in mind, but I just don't want to miss anything when it comes to Taylor. I spent so much time on the bathroom floor praying for the nausea to pass when I was pregnant with Taylor, I can't imagine doing that now while having a toddler. How do you explain to a toddler that Mommy doesn't feel good? How much would I miss out on because I spent the evening in bed with a pinched nerve in my back, unable to move? Someday we will cross that bridge, but I'm not sure when.

No comments: