Monday, February 19, 2007

Concept of Family

While Ayron and I were getting gas yesterday, I saw a cousin of mine. She is technically my second cousin on my dad's side of the family. She probably has no clue who I am. That struck me. I started thinking about family and how my definition of family has changed and who it includes.

We have always been close to my mom's side of the family, and not at all on my dad's side of the family. The only person I still talk to on my dad's side of the family, is well...my dad. Ayron's family is the exact opposite. We do everything with his dad's side of the family, and very little with his mom's side.

After pondering the notion of family most of the afternoon, I checked my phone to realize that I had a voice mail from Michael. The voice mail was different than his other ones. No funny song, no silly joke, but it meant more to me than the other voice mails. It made me realize, I had let him into my family.

My family is made up of mostly friends, and it is rapidly increasing. I'm realizing that I don't have to be genetically linked to someone in order to call them my family. I look at Quest as a monthly "family" reunion. While I still hold dear my biological family, I'm realizing that I might hold my "family" just as dear, if not more.

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Matthew 12:50

"For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."