Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Literature

I started reading Ann Brashares series Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants last fall while I was student teaching. I had several girls in my class reading the first novel, and I was curious. I was hooked! I made Ayron watch the movie with me, and I've read each novel since. There are now four in the series, and I bought number 4 two days ago. While I liked how the series concluded, I must say that I am a bit appalled by what is in the plot line. If these stories are geared towards young females, why did Ann fill the last novel with sex? Sex, within the confines of marriage, is a wonderful and beautiful thing. Why promote sex to minor girls? I'm not stupid, I know kids are "doing it" and I can't say that I'm surprised. Sex is everywhere. Maybe I'm being too old fashioned or conservative, but I must say that it is possible to stay a virgin until marriage. I am not trying to condemn anyone who has had sex outside of a marriage, I know a ton of those people, but I also know the heartbreak that goes with it. Knowing all of the trouble and heartache sex can bring to young adult, why is main stream America selling it to the youth? It seems silly. We tell them not to have sex, to wait, all about STDS, etc, yet we put it in their novels, movies, and music. Am I the only one who is bugged by this?

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Unfortunately, our Enemy is a master of marketing.

We need to remember that "our struggle is not against flesh and blood.." Ephesians 6:12