Monday, February 12, 2007

If I've Said It Once...

I've said it a million times. God's timing is mysterious.

I have been struggling with how to reconnect with an old friend of mine. Almost exactly a year ago, I had falling out with a friend. We have been friends since birth and I never thought that our distance would last a year. Last week I finally deleted her cell phone number from my phonebook. I felt slightly guilty, but thought it was because we had been friends for so long.

Saturday, she had been on my mind. When I got home from Ft. Wayne, Ayron called me to say that he had stopped in to talk to some old friends when he ran into the husband of my old friend. Ayron asked how my friend was doing, and the answer was not positive. We immediately called my friends brother. We spent the afternoon moving my friend out of their home and back in with her parents. When I walked into the house and saw her, it was like no time had passed. The fights, the year of separation, went out the window. I walked over and gave her a hug and started crying with her. I wasn't crying for our lost friendship, but for her. My heart broke as we talked. I drove with her back to her parents house and then back into town to get some groceries. My heart ached for her. I've never had the feeling. I would never wish a divorce on anyone, not even after the horrible year we've had between us.

Later that evening we went to church and the message was titled "A Valentine for Rachel" and it focused on the man who worked for 7 years to marry his love, and cousin, Rachel. After the first 7 years, he was given Rachel's older sister, Leah. The man worked another 7 years to earn Rachel. All of the six points hit home. I couldn't stop the tears. I wondered if the message would have had as much of an impact on me if we hadn't just moved my friend out of her house and away from her husband. I wanted to take a copy of the sermon and beat her husband over the head with it.

I have decided to not let our friendship go down that road again. But I found myself wondering, what if they get back together? What do I do? He was part of the reason we grew apart this past year. I made sure not to bash him in front of her, and actually, I didn't in my mind either. I know how I feel about him, but I've never said it to her, but I think she has figured it out. I want her to be happy, and if God wants them to be together he will work things out, but I'm afraid that if they get back together, I'll lose her again.

Dear Lord,

I pray for your loving guidance, not only for her, but for myself as well. Allow me to be quiet enough to here You and Your wisdom. Provide me with the comforting words that she may need over the coming weeks. I also pray that Your guiding hand be with him. He is struggling so much right now and while he may not see it, he needs You right now. I also pray for the rest of her family. We are all struggling with strong emotions towards him. Grant us the peace that will be needed during this time. In YOUR name I pray...Amen.

No comments: