Wednesday, February 07, 2007

To Holicki or not to Holicki.....

that is the question.

I am lucky enough to have connections to several individuals in the eye care field. One man in particular, is created for pioneering eye surgeries and has many techniques and procedures named after him. Greg, worked under that doctor, and now works for Dr. Holicki. I have been told that I am the perfect person for Lasik or Lasek. The financial burden would not be an issue because of my connections. Many people would jump on board, but I'm timid, merely walking behind the train.

I have worn glasses off and on since 2nd grade. I was lucky enough to get contacts in high school and have been wearing them ever since. I recently have been told that my frequent use of contacts is warping my eyes and that I should switch back to glasses until I have my surgery. While I have a killer pair of new glasses, I like my contacts. I like being able to wear sunglasses and swim. I like being able to walk into a building without having glasses that fog up. So get the surgery right? Not that easy.

I freaked out when I had my gallbladder surgery and I knew I would be asleep for that. I'd be awake for this. Awake and with it while they poke around in my eye! I would have to be seriously drugged. Greg told me I could come in early and they could give me a shot of verset (who knows if I'm spelling it right, probably not). I've had the drug during the whole gallbladder phase, and that drug works miracles on me. They also have suckers for kids made out of that drug. I told Greg, "You'd have to shoot me up, and give me the entire box of suckers!"

It's been weighing on my mind. Why not? The financial burden wouldn't be an issue. I'd be free of my contacts and glasses. I could wake up and actually read the alarm clock. I'm debating about making an appointment for spring break. I just know that I'm a weeny when it comes to minor pain. I can take large pain. My surgeon was amazed at how well I was doing with the gallbladder pain when he pulled out my rock hard gallbladder. He didn't know how I was able to function on a daily basis with my organ is such a horrible shape. So why can't I take some minor discomfort and get it done. I've talked to people who have had it done, but they are all linked to Greg. I was talking to my "brother" about it Friday and he said, "Just get it done." I tried using the whole, "well, shouldn't you wait until after your have children because that can mess with your vision." To which Dan replied, "So do it now before you have kids." Got me. I guess the reason I'm hesitant is because everyone who is telling me to do it, hasn't had it done. Dan has glasses, Greg has glasses, heck the doctor that helped pioneer the whole process wears glasses!! How can the sell a product they haven't used! I know why, none of them are good candidates, but just my luck, I'm a perfect one.....grrrr....I'll probably end up making the call by the end of the week.

Has anyone out there had it done? Any words of advice? I'm NOT looking for horror stories, those don't help. Just friendly advice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sr. Chris says, "I wouldn't have it done. It's not reversible."

And you know my take on needles and eyes... noooooooo