Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bring on the Crazies!!

Well, as anyone who has ever lived in DeKalb county knows, the crazies are on their way. If you are not familiar with out little town of Auburn, allow me to give you a brief history lesson.

One day a long long time ago, E.L. Cord created a car factory in our town. They created several types of cars. Now, fast forward a little bit. Someone in the Kruse family decided to turn Labor Day into Crazy Fest. Every Labor Day weekend, Auburn is home to the largest car auction in the world. We have had such cars as the Popemobile, Batmobile, and the car from Back to the Future (the Darian? Who knows, I'm not into cars). With the famous and expensive cars comes their rich and usually odd owners.

To prove my "they have way too much money point" here is a story. I worked at Scott's while I was in high school. During ACD weekend I once had a guy come into the store, purchase a pack of Big Red chewing gum, not even a big pack mind you, the 5-piece kind. He proceeded to pay for his gum with a $500. Seriously. It was freaking 6:30 in the morning. I had just gotten my drawer, like I had $499.74 in change to give him.

These odd people come from all over the world. I am not kidding. But, along with the crazies, you get the occasional celebrity (who's to say they aren't crazy too?) The owner of Chick-Fil-A is always here, and very nice. Jay Leno is known to show up. David Letterman makes an appearance every couple of years. Our little town is transformed, our roads blocked, restaurants crammed, gas stations full, and some citizens are smart enough to leave. Our little town easily reaches at least 1/2 a million for the week. The auction starts on Thursday and goes until Tuesday. I am sure that the many RV's, station wagons, trailers, and other methods of transportation are already filling up the empty parking spots around town.

If you are willing to brave the elements and the crazies, then by all means, come to town. If you can help it, avoid the interstate. If you live in Auburn and can get out, GET OUT NOW!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!

Of course the DeKalb County Free Fall Fair brings out a whole other kind of crazy... sometimes even of the murderous variety! Eek! I remember we had to cover our names with tape on our band jackets, otherwise the carnies harassed us incessantly. It's a wonder so many of them could READ! Perhaps they sell their teeth to each other for lessons...

Pepper said...

The family that owns Chic-Fil-A are wonderful people. When I was waitressing, they would always come in and request my section. Along with my tip, which was usually more than all of the other girls put together, I got coupons for free sandwiches. They would always give me a hug before they left in the evening too. And, they keep their restaurants closed at every location on Sundays in observance of the Sabbath. Wonderful, wonderful people.

Jay Leno is a regular at the auction. Did you know that he has "his" room at the old hotel downtown? They don't even have bathrooms in the rooms, just a community lavy on each floor.