Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Shawn McDonald Part I (Amazing Grace)

I love Shawn McDonald's music. I have a friend who is just as equally excited about him as I am. Maybe it is his honesty? Or his raw sound? Or could it be his story. If you don't know his story, I highly recommend reading the next paragraph.

Shawn McDonald was raised by his grandparents. When he hit his late teens, he rebelled. He was living on the streets, doing and selling hardcore drugs. His parents had always taken him to church, but he never felt a calling. One night, while squatting in an apartment, he felt the urge to pray. During his prayer, he felt God tell him to get rid of his drug stash. He immediately flushed it and cleaned up any evidence. In the middle of the night, the police came to arrest him, they were sure they'd find him stash and finally be able to bust him. All they found was an empty apartment. Since then, Shawn has reconnected with God. His music illustrates his struggles as a Christian. The songs are so raw and real.

So back to my story. I'm sitting here at work, not feeling well at all. I am trying to decide if it is morning sickness (I'm usually sick at night) or the flu that is going around. I am moaning and groaning about having to come to work today for this big meeting and I'm struggling to finish Augusts activities for the after school group. I bought Shawn's new cd yesterday, so in an attempt to calm myself, I put the cd in my laptop. Track # 13 is "Amazing Grace."

I've heard "Amazing Grace" hundreds, if not millions of times. I've heard it done in just about any way possible. Bag pipes are especially moving. I found myself reallying listening to the words and hearing Him through Shawn's voice. I was immediately calm. It was amazing (no pun intended). That song has never touched me so deeply as it did this morning. I love this cd!

Here is one of my favorite songs of his.

Hold On
Another day gone by
And again I ask myself why
I question my sanity
Why I believe what I believe
Some might think that I am crazy
For believing in something I cannot see
So won't You now
Hold on to me, hold on
Hold on to me, yeah
Please don't let me go no, no, hold on
'Cause I am prone to wonder
Prone to leave this faith I know
Hold on
And now they say that the wise man
Well, he fears the Lord
And this fear, well, it's the beginning of all wisdom
And I must be a fool
'Cause I sure don't seem to fear You
'Cause the very things that You will me to do
Well, I just don't seem to get around to
The very things that You hate
Are the very things that I always stumble into
Hold on
Hold on
Hold on
Hold on
'Cause I am prone to leave this faith I know
Prone to leave this God I love
Won't You hold on
Won't You hold on to me

No comments: