Monday, December 03, 2007

Back to Basics

Ayron and I have decided to have a simple Christmas. Partly due to money, partly to escape the commericalism of the holiday.

Growing up I knew why Christmas was important, but when you are a kid, it is all about the presents. I always got flannel sheets, a brand new coloring book, and the biggest box Crayola had on the market. As I've grown up, I changed my requests for needs. Sure, I may want something, but do I really need it? Last year it was stuff for the house.

We aren't exchanging gifts on my mom's side of the family. None of us have things we really want/need. Ok, so we do, but our lives will go on without them. Sacrifice won't hurt us. I have decided to make a couple of small things for everyone though.

Our nieces told us not to buy them presents because they want us to save up so we can all go to Disney together. I don't think the three year old realizes what she is asking for. We are keeping it small.

I think after last year (My sister in law being in the hospital), we (well, at least me) really realized what it is supposed to be about. Family.

I must say that I am calmer this year. I am not frantically running around to save a dollar on the latest gizmo or toy. I am just looking forward to spending time with my family. It will be nice. Our family is ever expanding and changing, and being able to get together and share is better than any present I could get or give this year. I know, sounds fake doesn't it. I am being serious.

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

I believe you. We had already decided to limit which name-drawings we would participate in, because we don't have room for the crap we have without adding more to it. :)

In addition, we placed a $15 limit on gifts that we're buying, and have asked that those giving us gifts keep it to $15 and under. Next year, I might ask some people (not my Mom, she'd have a fit if she couldn't buy me stuff) to make a donation to some charities I support. I'm not sure.

But what I am sure of is that you're right; simple is better.