Friday, January 04, 2008

Insurance and Pay Raises

I finally got my health insurance card today!! I am so excited. It is funny to look at the little plastic card and realize how much it is saving us. I was on Ayron's insurance through his work. Just to insure me we were paying around $100 a month. When I found out I could get the county's health insurance plan through work I was estatic. Better coverage and for the big big price of $1 a year. Yep, I now pay $1 a year! That will change when Taylor is put on my insurance, but it will still be cheaper than adding him to Ayron's work plan. There is a drawback to accpeting the county's insurance though. The employee only pays $1 a year, but the employees office must pick up the rest of the cost.

In order for my program to pick up the rest of the cost, I had to "forefit" a bigger pay raise. I am perfectly fine with that. With my new raise added in my paychecks will have an extra $20 in it each pay period. Doesn't seem like a lot, but with the change insurance and my raise, we will add an extra $140 to our budget each month. We have decided to take that money and put it into savings each month. We are already used to "not having it" so it won't be that big of a deal. If we are consistant and good about depositing it into savings, in a year we can save an extra $1680.

That may not seem like a lot, but in my mind, any little amount you can put back is great. You never know when the car might need repairs or when the washer will die (ours already did). This way we can have a cushion just in case anything happens.

I'm also excited because I am now up to 150 hours in comp time at work. In order to have a paid maternity leave I have to rack up comp time and then use my sick/vacation/personal days. I want to try to leave some of my sick days untouched. By the time Taylor gets here I will have 10 sick days, 5 vacation days, and 5 personal days. With the way the students have been cranking out work, I will have plenty of work to take home at night to grade and add hours to the comp time. Looks like we will be able to afford me being off of work after all.

It's been a great Friday, but I am ready to get out of here. To bad I have to stay late to meet with a family. I did fill out as much as the paperwork as I could so the meeting should hopefully only be 15 minutes and then I'm outta here!!!

2 comments:

todd helmkamp said...

Happy Day!! Congrats! That's also awesome about the comp time! Bethany has a little bit, but thank heaven we'll get our tax refund about the time Brennan is born!!

Incidentally, I got a raise today too. :)

Anonymous said...

Somehow, though, by "forfeiting a bigger pay raise," YOU are still paying for the insurance, aren't you?

But what do I know. We only just got a 2% cost of living pay increase, and apparently that in itself is a rarity around here, nevermind actual merit raises (not that I'd ever 'merit' one in this job--my attitude sucks too much).