Friday, January 18, 2008

Telling the Truth

In the past year I have read several baby books. After reading every book the library had, I stumbled across one called Belly Laughs (my italics isn't working right) by Jenny McCarthy. My friend recently bought me her second book called Baby Laughs. I've even read her book about dealing with her sons Autism diagnosis. I must say that her books offer the most honest and real take on pregnancy and child birth. Sure, it's crass, after all it is Jenny McCarthy, but she is so real about the whole process. She tells it like it is, all the pleasants and the not so pleasants. Sure, her language and choice of words at time could offend you, but knowing who the author is ahead of time explains the language.

Take for instance the following paragraph on Baby Poop: "There is nothing in this world like baby poop. The aroma, the ability to defy gravity, the texture, and my favorite...the color. I remember thinking, 'Wow, I've never seen this type of green before.' You hear other moms talk about it. Maybe even get some stories from your own mom. But when you get to experience it firsthand, you'll realize there's nothing like it!"

To anyone who is pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant I urge you to read her books. Not to scare you with her take on the experience, but her books don't sugar coat. You have to be willing to get over the horrible language, but if you can do that, it is refreshing to here someone be so honest about the situation.

No comments: