Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sinking Your Own Ship

I have been using this expression a lot this week with my day program kids and I don't know where I got it from. I have three high schoolers that will go back to the high school Thursday. They have known since their first day in the program what they have to accomplish in order to not fail the classes they were placed in. They were all doing great until this week. Why wait till the last two days to start screwing around and messing up a good thing? Maybe it's a high school trait I've forgotten. No, scratch that. I never had that trait. I was the one who wanted to get done ahead of schedule. I had a student wait till today to start working on a class. He has had the work for two weeks, and granted, it's a simple class, but why wait till the last day. I can promise you he won't get the last 7 chapters he needs done completed in the next 30 minutes. It's discouraging. I give these kids all the tools they need and they still choose to sink their boat.

It kills me to watch them frantically try to paddle and bail out water on the last day. I can't throw them any more lifesavers, I'm all out. They are all 16 or older and they knew what they needed to do. It's hard. I am afriad the school will look at me and the students' performances will reflect negativly on me. I tried, I did everything I could, but their boats are still slowly sinking.

I will have 3 new students starting Thursday from the alternative school along with the 1 already enrolled and two middle schoolers. I'm actually looking forward to this bunch. The 4 students from the alternative school are independent workers, they have to be in order to qualify for the alternative program. These students I know I won't have to stand over and watch them every second of every day. I am hoping I can use my time better by planning for maternity leave.

So is this stalling trait something I lack? Did I have it and I simply forgot? I know I stal, but I never did with my school work. Maybe that's why I am a teacher now. Who knows.

No comments: