Tuesday, May 27, 2008

God, is that you?

I'll admit that my prayer life leaves something to be desired. I am doing better now (thanks to using drawing as a form of prayer) but I still find myself doing the typical, "Be with person A. Help person B. Thank you for X,Y,Z." Having a child does help with the appreciative prayers.

I've never really "heard" God. Maybe He is screaming at me and I'm deaf. Maybe he has given me a million signs but I am blind. Maybe I never truly called out for Him to send me a sign. Maybe I did see/hear Him and just don't know it.

Pastor Stein spoke this past weekend at church and the sermon got me. Now that I think about it, maybe that was His was of sending me a sign.....anyways. Ayron and I got to thinking, "What is our eagle?" Pastor Stein's sign was so clear and heard so I guess I'm waiting for God to send me an email or text message that says, "here's your sign." But I know that it probably (He's God, He'll do it however He wants to) won't happen.

After a long weekend, we think we found our "eagle" and Ayron is so sure, but I think that what we found was his "eagle" and not mine. So I guess what I am asking for is how will I know?

I'll tell you now that the whole, "You'll just know" answer will not suffice. I want personal stories. How did He speak to you? What could/should I be looking for? How do I make certain that I am doing what He wants? What if my "eagle" isn't something I enjoy? I know that I will need to do it, but how can I do it with a song in my heart if I am not happy? It would be easier if God sent text messages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God Wants You To Be Happy

True to Self --> True to Call --> True to God

It's all connected. When done genuinely, I've found that one will lead to the others.

God is generally quiet, gentle and inviting, rather than demanding or commanding. The "still small voice," more often than the booming shout that knocks you off your horse. God woos us and flirts with us, and wants to give us not only the desires of our hearts, but even more than we can begin to imagine for ourselves.

For me, God speaks in threes and in synchronicities and serendipities. When I realize it's the 3rd time in a short period of time I'm hearing about something, I've (finally) learned that it's time to take notice, investigate, pay attention. That's God; that's *my* knowing-ness, my text message, the little buoys that steer me. Like a shepherd, leading us gently into the stream where God would have us both doing God's will and on the path that God knows will fulfill our heart's desires. That's my "eagle," if I've had one. In fact, there have been many. God knows I need a bit of micro-managing on the daily-level at times, I guess! ;)