Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Why Didn't I Stand

Three weeks ago Pastor Diehl felt the need to pray over the physically hurting in our church. During the Saturday night service he asked those who were dealing with physical pain to raise their hands (and eventually stand up). I sat still. Ayron gave me a look, yet my butt stayed on the seat. I had been dealing with severe back issues. Cramps that dropped me to the floor and prevented me from using my arms, yet there I sat. The pastor prayed over the hurting and I said my own little "help me feel better" prayer, yet I didn't acknowledge that I was in physical pain.

I am still in physical pain. Not nearly as much as then, but I still have my episodes. I've tried stretches and sleeping positions, etc. Some mornings I wake up in pain, other days I go to bed in pain. I'm sure sitting on the bleachers at the Indy 500 didn't help. I keep wondering, had I stood up would I still be in pain?

Why didn't I stand up? I honestly don't know. I guess I figured that others were hurting or had far worse problems than my back pain. Was it a vain attempt at modesty? I've never been a "look at me" person and it does take me some time to admit that I need help so maybe that's why I didn't stand. Was I embarrassed to admit I needed prayer? I don't think that was the reason.

So I'm "standing" now and asking for prayer. I should have done it three weeks ago with pastor asked, but better late than never right?

No comments: