Monday, May 19, 2008

Switching Cell Phone Plans

Ayron and I are thinking of switching cell phone providers. We are currently with Centennial and have been for 7 years. We have started to do some comparison shopping and discovered that we are basically "being screwed" by centennial. They claim there is not a smaller/less expensive plan. We are tired of getting the run around so we have started looking into Verizon.

Anyone with Verizon have any complaints? We talked to one friend and he really likes Verizon and told us how to get some "free stuff" by setting up an on line account. I just want to get as many opinions as possible before we switch.

We do plan on keeping our same numbers so that is another question I have. I am sure the Verizon people know how to do it, but I was curious if we have to do. Is there any leg work?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you switch, the salesperson will put in your phone number, and Centenial will need to release the phone number before it can get moved over. This delay could be up to 48 hours and is COMPLETELY dependent on how quickly the old carrier releases the number. (My salesperson said average was 2-6 hours, I think)
I switched to AT&T from T-Mobile, and my number was released in about 10 minutes.

You would be safe switching to either Verizon or AT&T. Both are good and both have made major investments in future technologies, so they are going to be around a while. Sprint/Nextel isn't doing so well at the moment, so I would suggest avoiding them.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah--When you switch, you will need to provide your old Centenial Account Number to the new sales rep in order for them to put the phone number release through.