Thursday, January 08, 2009

Frustration

I know I am going to sound like a geezier, but kids these days!


Brief recap for those of you who don't know what I do: I run a school for students who are in the justice system and have been suspended or expelled from school. Instead of going to "baby jail" (really called Placement), they are allowed to live at home and come to my school for their education.


It is amazing how these kids don't realize how lucky they have it. I could have denied their enrollment and sent them on their merry little way to baby jail till the start of next school year. I have 2 kids starting today for a grand total of 9 (doesn't sound like a lot, but they are all in at least 2 classes and are all at different learning levels. I take 6th thru 12th grade).


The high school newbie (as we call them) walked in like he owned the place. I had arranged for him to be picked up, yet he magically appeared (strike one. I sent my van driver to your house, he is probably waiting on you and you didn't call to tell me you didn't need a ride.) He didn't have any of his work (he was provided with a TON of work to do at home over break but brought none of it back. (Strike 2). He won't shut up. I have asked him several times to sit and do his work, yet he keeps talking. If this keeps up, he will be out by noon and probably in placement by 3.


Do these kids not understand or do they not care? I don't like to use the scare tactic approach, but placement is scary! Do they think it will be a piece of cake? What can I do to make them see, it's this way or baby jail? They just don't care. It is sad.

We all had a big "Coming to Jesus" meeting (that's just what I call it) right after lunch. I found some very inappropriate notes, etc. So we had a talk, I don't yell. I can't yell, then the kids could tell the judge I yelled at them. Then once we were done with our talk, a probation officer stopped in and she gave them a good discussion with a mix of yelling.

I have two problem groups right now: 2 freshman girls and a group of disrespectful males. I think the girls finally got it after probation stopped over, I don't think the guys get it.

I started thinking, I need a semi scary (if he needs to be) guy who can also be a positive influence and role model. One who has his act together and decent math skills (not my area of knowledge). I logged on to facebook and lo and behold God sent me an angel in the form of Josh M.

For those of you (New Hope) who know Josh M. you are probably thinking, "Him? He likes potty humor." Literally, he will tell you, "I have to fart." But he knows the correct setting. He knows when he can mess around and when he shouldn't. Think about it people. If he has to get mean/mad his face matches his hair (for those of you who don't know, red). He is an ex-military guy(face it, they can yell if they need too and also be strict). He is married (to the mother of his two children no less!) with two sons. He is going back to school. He is perfect for the job! I asked him and thankfully, he said he was interested. Sometimes God sends you your answered prayer in the form of fart humor.

3 comments:

todd helmkamp said...

What, I'm not intimidating? Maybe I could shock them with horror stories of computer viruses or something. :)

Carma said...

My boss was asking about you and I said, "he works for Noble Cheverolet" and he cut me off and went, "Ug, a car salesman?" I said, "Well, more like a computer geek does their internet type guy. He does computer stuff." He instantly liked you. He is a self proclaimed computer geek. His ring tone is "White and Nerdy."

todd helmkamp said...

I LOVE that song!!

"The only question I
ever thought was hard
is do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?"