Monday, January 19, 2009

Tax Refund

I like doing our taxes. Our taxes are fairly simple and I use Turbo Tax (It's idiot proof!). I started our taxes last week and I love watching the return amount go up! I had big plans for that money. In my mind we were paying off bills and maybe going on vacation. Then Friday morning happened!

Long story made short: Our furnace hates us. It has a crush on Josh (our furnace man and friend) and will run just fine when Josh is over, but the instant he leaves, she throws a fit and won't run. I think she has a crush on him. In order to have heat we must hand lite the furnace. At night we just turn the furnace off. Well, seeing as how the weather was -30 this weekend, the cold water line to our washer froze and so did the drain for the washer.

As I listened to Ayron talk to his dad (via phone) I saw that tax refund dwindling before my eyes. We were able to fix the problem pipe for just $7!

We decided to take our tax refund and get a new furnace! Josh and Ayron (well, mainly Josh) can install it and they are going to rerun our duct work through the attic (right now we have old clay tile heat runs under our house). This way we can finish project number 2 that will be funded by the rest of our tax refund. We are redoing our backroom (the 4-seasons room). We are making it a permanent room that can actually be used! Yes folks, more room for when Ayron decides to have an impromptu New Year's Eve party! We are getting real windows (you should see what is in there now!), and a real back door (yeah, don't ask), insulation, drywall, etc! We will make it actual living space and thus increase the living space of our house and make it more appeal if we ever sell.

I guess the vacation can wait as long as I get my heat and a new room!

No comments: