Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History in the making

I am currently watching the inauguration of the president. I have my students watching as well. I don't think they get it. I don't think they realize they are watching a very historical moment. I don't think they realize that what they are watching now will one day be in History books. They are trying to be funny and crack jokes, etc. They just don't get it.

It doesn't matter if you like him or if you agree with his decisions, you have to admit that it is history. This is something that has never been done. We are living in a very historic time. We have witnessed several things that will be written about and that future generations will study in History class: September 11, 2001; the current war; the swearing in of the first African American president.

It is history people! I just wish I could get my students to understand the significance and all that had to happen in our history to allow an African American to even run for president, let alone to be elected.

No comments: