Thursday, January 15, 2009

How did we get here?

Seeing as how it is the last day of the semester all my students are frantically trying to get their work done, thus it has been very quiet at work today.

I took some time to surf facebook and see who I could find. I have a lot of "friends" on my account. Most of them are people from high school. It is interesting to see A) If they know who you are when your last name just barely changed, and B) What they are doing now.

It is interesting to see who married whom, who moved away, who has kids, who has what job, etc.

I started to think, I graduated almost 8 years ago (man, that makes me feel old!). You start to compare where you are with where your former peers are. I know you shouldn't do that. Pastor Stein once referred to it as "grading yourself on a curve." We are all in such different places.

Some of us are in grad school, some of us are just starting school. Some are learning about diseases, some are trying to prevent them. Some are starting families while some are finding out who they really are.

Do you ever stop to think, "How did I get where I am now?" It can be a humbling experience. I can't believe it has been 8 years. The "discussion topic" on the Class of 2001 facebook page asks us to sum up what we have been up to in 50 words or less. Here is my response:

Ran away from life. Came back. Married an Eastside Grad (harass me later). Graduated. Found myself. Struggled. Found my true self. Landed a great job doing something out of the norm. Rediscovered old friends. Bought a house. Created life. Learned a lot about the “real world.”

I guess that is how I got where I am at. How did you get where you are?

No comments: