Thursday, December 22, 2005

CHRISTmas Theory

While I know the real story and the real reason for CHRISTmas I do have several humorous theories/thoughts about the holiday. They are as follows:

With corporate (and the government) America attempting to be "politically correct" about the holidays and prayer, I begin to wonder if any of those people passed 11th grade History. Do they not know that our country was founded by religious people? Have they not read the Constitution or the Bill of Rights? Have they not seen the bumper sticker that reads, "As long as there are tests in school there will be prayer"?

Why does the magic of CHRISTmas disappear with age? Why do we stop believing in "Santa?" While I do know that a fat man in a large red suit will not be coming down my imaginary chimney, I do know that people who possess the same freewill spirit are out the in the world spreading joy. As I watch my nieces discover the truth behind "Santa" I begin to wish that I still believed. It is much more fun to think that "Santa" left a present under the tree instead of mom and dad.

Why do people who do good works only during the CHRISTmas season feel they deserve extra praise and attention? Shouldn't we, as Christians, be doing charitable acts all year long? Why do people feel they need to call attention to themselves for doing something they are called to do? Do these types of people not realize that charitable acts are needed year round? Do they think that the homeless/down trodden only need fed on CHRISTmas?

I believe that CHRISTmas separates the world into 3 types of people.

Type A consists of the people who stress over every minor detail. They count the presents to make sure everyone has the same amount. They create a detailed list about what they are going to get everyone and they panic if they cannot find something on that list. These are the type of people who run around the house cleaning the baseboard with an old toothbrush just in case someone decides to look behind the couch at the baseboard. These people also spend time organizing rooms that company will never even see. I live with this type of person, and as sick as it may seem, it is funny to watch them panic over every small detail.

Type B consists of the people who shop when they feel like it and don't worry to much. They find joy in hunting for the perfect gift. They don't make lists, but they know when the perfect present jumps off the shelf at them. While they have a majority of the shopping done by CHRISTmas Eve a few presents remain unwrapped. They focus on having fun and creating memories with the people who come around during the holidays. I am one of these people

Type C consists of the people who just don't care. This group is majority male and married and while they enjoy the holidays, they don't care about shopping. Most don't even shop. These males have usually been married for sometime and have a theory, "I don't need presents 'cuz I buy what I want when I want it. I don't need a particular time of year to get presents. " This is the category that my father-in-law fits in. In fact I pulled this theory right out of his mouth

Well, since I belong in the Type B category I should go wrap those last presents!

1 comment:

seeking_something said...

I dunno, I'm a BC. I shop when I feel like it. Most of the time, I don't feel it, so it looks like a C. But if I feel like I want to get something for someone, I'll do it. No fretting though, because people like gifts at any time. People who are upset about not getting a gift at Christmas... (need I say more?)