Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Such Strength

In the day and age when cancer seems to run ramped it seems we all know someone who has crossed its path. In the past 3 months I have lost a great uncle and an aunt to the disease. We have also found out that a cousin has been diagnosed with the killer. While some choose to get angry or just give up, one young man has choosen a different road. A young gentelman has been struggling with the disease for some time now. Johnny Chase was diagnosed with cancer some time ago. We have recently learned that the cancer is back and treatment will not help. He has chosen to spend his final days teaching others. Johnny was fortunate to be born into a strong Christian home and has the love of his family, oh and it helps that is dad is a doctor! Being born the 3rd of 12 children, the Chase household is filled with nothing but love. It is remarkable to meet someone who is fighting against the odds, not to live, but to teach. I can only hope that his strength will help others see the light of God. His entire struggle with cancer can be seen at www.johnnychase.org I encourage you to send his family an encouraging email at therook37@hotmail.com

What Cancer Can't Do

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love,
It cannot shatter hope,
It cannot corrode faith,
It cannot eat away peace,
It cannot destroy confidence,
It cannot kill friendship,
It cannot shut out memories,
It cannot silence courage,
It cannot invade the soul,
It cannot reduce eternal life,
It cannot quench the Spirit,
It cannot lessen the power of the resurrection.

"Why must I bear this pain? I cannot tell; I only know my Lord does all things well. And so I trust in God, my All in all, for He will bring me through, whater'e befall."

**UPDATE**
Johnny passed away early this morning at home. It is a relief for the family because he no longer must suffer under the wrath of cancer. He passed peacefully, lying on the couch next to the family Christmas tree.

1 comment:

seeking_something said...

Sorry about your cousin.

I think I missed the point of the book "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings," but if I look at American slavery, I can see that although everything can and were taken from the slaves, nothing can take away their spirit if they chose to hold on to it.