Thursday, November 08, 2007

Authority Part II

Ok, so this week I managed to confront one of my employees. I blogged about the situation earlier this week. I feel I did a good job in our "meeting." I did not attack, I did not blame, I simply explained my reasoning behind a couple of decisions. I knew that he would not like my reasoning or my decisions, but it boils down to me being "the boss." After we had our meeting I needed to run to my other office to grab some paperwork. As soon as I stepped back in the door he began questioning my decisions again. I simply remarked with, "If you feel that way, we can set up a meeting with B." B is my higher up who I have consulted several times about the issue. I know that B stands behind my decision.

So knowing all of that, and knowing that I have done no wrong, why am I feeling like I am the one who will be "attacked" in the meeting? I know that I have done nothing wrong. I know that I do my job, and I know that B as well as the judges are very pleased with me. I know that I do all that I can to help my students succeed. So why am I nervous? I know exactly what he will say to B so I have thought out my answers ahead of time. I don't want him to think we are attacking him. That is not my goal. I want to be able to have an adult, professional conversation with this guy without him bringing up my age or "lack of life experience." Every time he says that I want to point out his "lack of a degree in education" and his lack of "a teacher's licence." My goal is to keep my calm and have a rational discussion and have these issues resolved. I hope that we can have this meeting with B tomorrow because if I stew over this very much longer my composure will be out the window by the time the meeting comes around.

No comments: