Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What A Savings!!

I have been at my current job for almost 16 months now. Hard to believe. Sometimes it seems like time has flown, other times it seems as if the sand is stuck in the timer.

I wrote an annual report this morning for the state agency that funds both of my programs. Thanks to the programs I oversee, we (myself and my staff) have saved the county 2,771 days of juvenile placement. Not a big deal you say? Well, calculate this. The average stay in a juvenile facility costs the county $175. That is for ONE DAY! So, if you take 2,771 and multiply it by $175, you can see that we saved the county a total of $484,925 in the past 16 months. I knew it would be a large number, but I was still blown away!

I am hoping that by showing our funding agency how much we have saved them, they will not hesitate to fund our program (plus and extra 5k) for the next year. I think spending $100,000 to save almost half a million is worth it. Don't you?

2 comments:

todd helmkamp said...

That's AWESOME! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive!