Friday, November 02, 2007

I love my job...

but it seems like with every giant step forward I get knocked on my butt. I really do love my job. It is frustrating and I know that I do complain. I have it pretty easy, I know that. Up until this last week I was really frustrated and was ready to set a meeting with my boss about somethings that had to change. This week, without any prompting from me, my boss made those changes. I had my evaluation on Wednesday and it went really well. I had another talk with him yesterday about going on the county insurance and my raise. Again, that went spectacular. He came over and helped me do some tech stuff I had no clue how to do. It was great. We sat and talked about up coming programs and who would be best to oversee them, etc. He even point blank asked me, "What do I need to do to make sure you stay here?" I was blown away! It's nice to be wanted and needed. I don't mean to sound like I am bragging about myself, but it was a mood lifting day, especially after everything that went wrong last night.

When I finally got around to leaving last night, one of the after school kids still wasn't here. I was confused. I had talked to the parent earlier in the day and even though yesterday was a half day, the parent knew the kid had the program. I waited until 4:30, still no sign of the kid. I called the probation officer to report the absence only to learn that the kid had been arrested ten minutes earlier for battery. I was devastated. I do believe the kid had it in them to batter, but not their own mother. I guess I was wrong. This kid was 8 days from being done in the program and getting back to life. 8 days. I was very frustrated with this kid. I have spent time since May (they have been in the program for awhile, but were finally getting their act together, or so I thought) creating a mentorship with this kid. Grades and attendance were steady and improving, drug use had stopped. It's time like these I feel like a failure. I keep thinking, did we ever talk about the relationship they had with their mom? Could I have noticed anything that would have stopped the situation? I know that all of this is out of my hands and many of these kids have impulse problems, but it is still so frustrating.

No comments: