Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Baking Realization

When I went to the store last week I decided to stock up on "baking essentials." Your typical items: flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, chocolate chips, etc.

I have been in a baking mood lately so last night I decided to make good old chocolate chip cookies. Usually Ayron hangs around the kitchen just long enough to lick a beater or stick his finger in the batter, but last night he actually helped! Well, until the first batch came out of the oven and then he asked if he could steal a cookie. Well, I failed to realize that when I stocked up on baking supplies, I grabbed milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet. I didn't think it would make much of a difference. I had already used one bag in my "no bake" cookies and couldn't tell a difference. I was SOOOO wrong. When we sat down to have our warm cookies and milk (before a rousing game of UNO) the cookies were almost too sweet. They were kind of gross. I only ate one, and then chugged my milk. I couldn't believe how altering one little thing in my routine could change the final product so much. It got me thinking.

What other routines in my life could I alter to better the result? I am a very routine and scheduled person. I know what has to be done by when and I schedule it and get it done in advanced. Changing something usually throws me for a loop and then I get all grouchy. Today I have decided to change how I do some things at work. I have decided not to be addicted to my email. I have a bad habit of checking my work email every 1/2 an hour. My goal today is to go an hour in between checking. Not a big deal to anyone else, but I am waiting to see how this will change my day. Hopefully having two new students today will distract me from my urge to log in and reply to senseless emails. We'll see.

What could you change in your daily routine?

************************************
I decided to try the cookies again this morning and they are much better now. I think the fact that the chocolate was so warm and gooey intensified the sweetness. Heck, Scooter even stole two cookies. Key word being "stole." He sure liked them, but we'll see what they do to his tummy!

No comments: