Monday, November 12, 2007

Crazy

Ok, so as I thought about my weekend on the drive to work I realized I couldn't really make sense of it all. Being the English dork that I am (I was laughed at last night when I admitted that I wanted to go back to school) I decided the only way for me to figure it all out was to blog. Hopefully this blog will make sense to not only me, but to everyone else.

Friday I left work early. I needed to have some "me" time. I spent my "me" time cleaning the house. Normally I would sit and read but with as crazy as life has been lately I wanted some order, so that meant cleaning. Friday night was also Quest (group of young adults who get toge her once a month for food, fellowship, and fun). Have you ever seen those new V8 commercials were people are being "bopped" upside the head? That was me Friday night. We watched and discussed Rob Bell's video "Kickball." Rob Bell's words always hit me hard. I know where he is going with things, but I am still amazed at the end of the video. The whole time we were watching the clip I felt like God was sitting in front of me bopping me on the head. It was like the light bulb finally went off. Then I felt this weight being lifted. It was like God was thinking, "Finally, you have learned the whole lesson, now let's get you to put your new knowledge to use!" It was amazing. I also realized how many friends I have. It is so fun to get together with people and just talk about anything. It is really funny to look at a former student and realize he is now a peer not a student. I was baffled by him. I was talking to his older sister when I confessed that I had taught him, she apologized. I was baffled and asked why. She told me he could be a dork at times. I thought, can't we all? I then decided to take that moment to praise her brother. It felt good to praise this former student and how well he has turned out. I think she saw him in a new light after that.

Saturday marked the beginning of REEVES HOG SLAUGHTER 07. Animal right's activists, don't bother. We eat meat, we like meat, we process meat. We spent all of Saturday processing two out of the four hogs. I helped! Normally I stay away, but I wanted to hang out with my sister in law and since she was helping, I helped. It was fun to hang out with family and realize that as crazy as they can seem at times, they are great people.

Sunday we continued the pig processing and did another two hogs. We also had J&K over so that J could look at our furnace (by now like 95% of you know who I'm talking about). J got it working and we left to go to a marriage thing at church (more on that later). When we came home we noticed the furnace sounded funny. I don't know what exactly Ayron was able to figure out with J over the phone, but it was sounding funny. We just decided to turn it off for the night and have J come take another look at it (thanks again to K for letting me borrow her hubby). Well, we discovered that when Ayron was trying to fix the problem earlier in the week he never reconnected the chimney to the furnace. Thus, the furnace was running for 3 hours pumping exhaust (aka CO) into the house. We panicked, turned the gas off, and opened the windows. Our panic was probably psychosomatic, but to be on the safe side we called the gas company. After waiting around outside for half an hour the gas guy came and confirmed our suspicion. We turned on the furnace and he tested that and that is how we discovered our furnace chimney has a leak. So we were paranoid all night, even though we aired the house out and before the guy left we had him check on last time and his gizmo was reading "0."

The marriage thing at church was very insightful. We watched part one of "Men's Brains/Women's Brains." A lot of the stuff I knew from psychology classes, but it was still interesting to see it from a guys point of view. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It was great. Too bad we had to go home to a poisonous house!

As I laid awake last night thinking about family and friends I had a sense of calm. Life has been chaotic right now, to say the least, and in the past I would be going psycho right now. So why am I so calm? It almost scares me to realize how calm I am. I am worried that I am not worrying. Then it hit me, I am more in tune with Him lately than I have ever been. I am putting other's needs first and trusting that He will provide for me. It is so profound and I keep wondering, "Why didn't I do this earlier in life!?" It is great to have a loving family and loving friends. They can make all the difference in a life.

No comments: