Friday, April 13, 2007

Disappointment

Recently I was talking with a close friend. This friend told me something they had done and I was disappointed. Not a big deal you're thinking. Well, here is why it is odd. I have several friends who have done this same thing, are still doing this same thing, and will probably continue to do this same thing. I don't get disappointed with those friends for that, so why did I feel my heart hit the floor when this friend told me that? Do I hold my friends to different standards?

Am I disappointed because I held this friend's standard high, and they failed (in my eyes)? It is because they should know better? Was is because they sounded proud of themselves for it? Is it because they did something we swore (several years ago) that we would NEVER do? I haven't had that sense of disappointment in a long time. I felt so let down, betrayed, whatever. I think they could tell by the sound of my voice. I'm afraid that if I vocalize my emotions to this friend, they will think that I am trying to mother them, which I am not. They have a mom, I don't need to be one. But how do I be a friend when I feel so betrayed.

No comments: