Tuesday, April 17, 2007

VT

Yesterday a gun man killed 32 people on the Virginia Tech campus, and wounded many others. The event has become a world wide news story. It got the whole world thinking about school security, but it really got those of us who work in schools thinking.

Granted, I don't teach in a traditional public school setting. I get the rough of the rough. I am their last hope. By the time they come to me, they are sick of "the system" because it has only ever failed them. They are discouraged and ready to give up. They often have anger issues and they are at the end of their rope. With the rise in school violence, why do people still go into education? Let alone, willingly work with the worst of the worst? I know why I do it.

Someone has to care for these kids. They have been hurt by the system and have given up. I want them to know that I am not "the system." I am different. I will do whatever it takes to help them succeed.

I think we all need to pray for the victims and their families of the Virginia Tech shooting, but also for those who have been forgotten. The students that I work with on a daily basis. Let's not forget to pray for those who are on the edge and could break, they need our prayer too.

No comments: