Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What the heck?

I am a big fan of music, all types. I always have music playing in my office. Lately I've been using yahoo music to fulfill my need for musical noise in the background of my work day. I started the player this morning and next to the song, is a picture of the album cover. I was appauled.

The current song is being sung by Ashley Tisdale. For those of you who do not have children, nieces, or do not watch Saturday morning cartoons, she is an actor on the Disney show "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody." On the album cover she looks like she is sending in her photo to Playboy. Since when did Disney let their "people" start acting and dress many years older than they actually are?

This seems to be an ongoing thing in our society. Heck, part of "Boston Legal" last night focused on the issue. Why are companies marketing mature toys to kids? Am I the only one that thinks that the Bratz dolls look like prostitutes?

Maybe I'm the only one bugged by this, but come on?! No wonder kids are growing up way to fast and doing things way to early in life. It's being pushed at them with their toys and Disney shows.

2 comments:

todd helmkamp said...

You're not the only one bugged by this. I'm a member of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood. We are currently fighting Scholastic Books for including Bratz books in their catalogs. You should check them out.

http://www.commercialexploitation.org/

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU! NO you are NOT the only one bugged by this trend. It's been very difficult to keep my boys as "innocent" as I would like until I'm sure they are mature enough for certain subjects. (Do NOT confuse that with naive as might pertain to safety issues, just innocent on others...)

I hate those Bratz dolls, too.

Also disappointed to hear about Ashley Tisdale. She's also in "High School Musical", which we in our household really like, and are looking forward to the sequal coming out this summer.

But then again, the Mouse Machine also spawned Brittany Spears, Christina Aguliara, and Justin Timberlake. Jessica Simpson too? Not sure about that one. :-)

(But I also recently heard that female lead of HSM WANTS to stay clean and sweet a while longer...so there's a good thing.)