Friday, March 07, 2008

Come On Now

What is the big deal? Please tell me if I am missing something.

My program is a "school" for students who have been suspended or expelled from the local schools. Upon enrollment the family is informed that we do random drug screens as a part of our program. Signing the handbook and the rule sheets grants us permission to do the screens. If they refuse to sign, they their child never begins my program. I have never had anyone refuse to sign because they are usually court ordered into the program. They will do anything to keep their kid in school and in the county so they sign. It's not a big deal.

We decided to drug screen everyone today due to some erratic behavior. When it came time for a particular student, a fit was thrown. I simply explained, "When you were enrolled your guardians as well as yourself signed this form and the form says right here that you will submit to random drug screens." They became upset and called their guardian. I then got an earful from him. Long story short, guardian threatened to sue me. The student then walked out of the program. They just threw their education away.

So my question is, if you signed the form, and you knew I could drug screen you, and you are clean, they why pitch a fit? Probably because they were afraid they'd test dirty. But testing dirty and facing those consequences is a heck of a lot easier than throwing away your education. Is there something I'm not seeing here?

2 comments:

todd helmkamp said...

That's a really sad story. Mom (school nurse) tells me really sad stories too. Why don't people get it?

Anonymous said...

A lot of the time it's because they're looking at the world thru drug-colored glasses and haven't hit bottom yet.