Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Daring or Stupidity?

I have recently updated all of the "student" computers at work. We have Internet blocking software so that certain sites are not accessible by the students. I just walked into the other classroom (I walked, making noise the whole way) and caught a student on myspace. She didn't even try to hide it. Did she think she was being sly? Like I wouldn't notice? Did she think I wouldn't say anything? Or did she just honestly think she could get away with it? Come on now. I took away her computer privileges for the rest of the week and now I have to figure out why our site blocker software didn't work (my boss set it up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

she probly used a proxy server to get around your filtering.
It's actually kinda easy to do...

Carma said...

I thought that my boss would have thought about that, being a computer guy himself, but I guess not.

todd helmkamp said...

Yeah, we had issues with that here. Is he using a specific software to block it or just the Internet Explorer settings? If so, I recommend K-9. We've had great success with that.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Carm. I discovered from both boys how easy it is to get around a Cybersitter block, too -- on proxy servers like Nathan said. Sigh...

Aunt L

todd helmkamp said...

Another thing to think about is whether the student is using a limited or administrator account. If he/she is using an admin account, he/she can just create another user account that will completely bypass any and all blocking settings on the other account (installed software, also). So that's a consideration. We ran into that with one of our clients. Dang kids.

Anonymous said...

Heh heh... yeah, easy enough to just Google "How do I get around filtering software":

2 quick examples:

Boing Boing's Guide to Defeating Censorware
&
Yahoo Answers

Peacefire has always been my personal fav. ;)