Monday, March 10, 2008

Why Lie?

Why lie? What benefit does it give the teller? They may think, "Oh I got away with it." But come on now, I don't have "stupid" stamped across my forehead. I'll figure it out.

I tell things like they are. I am sorry if it offends you (you meaning one of my students), but I'm not going to lie to you and tell you life is roses when you are running the risk of being placed. These students are used to being lied to, but they know that I won't. I establish that from day one. I tell them (in front of their parents), "I will not lie to you and I ask that you give me the same courtesy." To the kids, someone being that honest is refreshing for them. I may start the conversation with, "You may not like this, but keep in mind WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT TOGETHER...." I let them know they are not alone in their fight. I just ask for some respect and honesty in return.

What really gets me is when the parents are in on the lie. Why do they think that will help their child? All it does is make them look dumb. Do people not think that I can communicate with other people and discover the truth? Oh, and when I do discover the truth, don't try to hide. I know you have caller id, I know you are screening your calls. I know that you know I caught you in your lie. Own up to it. It will look better in court than if you keep trying to play dumb.

Like usual, this is brought on by an incident at work, but it got me thinking. Sure, the truth can hurt the teller and the listener, but finding out later that it wasn't the truth hurts more. I think even sugar coating something can be considered a lie (in some situations). Be upfront. I'm not saying to be rude about telling the truth. Have some tact, but you don't need to himhaw around the truth or try to manipulate your wording. When the truth is figured out, the liar looks really pathetic. Why not own up to your mistakes and tell the truth?

Is it really that hard for some people to tell the truth?

On the other end of the spectrum. If you ask for the truth you have to be willing to accept the truth and not hate the person that was willing to tell you the truth. That can be a bitter pill to swallow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This drives me bonkers.

If only everyone believed a lie was a lie...

Anonymous said...

To Nathan's comment -- could this also go along the lines of "if only everyone believed that all forms of sex ARE TOO sex??" (Ahem, Mr. Clinton!)

Aunt L