Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Playing Dumb

Playing dumb does not work people. Well, ok, I'll admit, it may work for some people, but in the situation that occured yesterday, it failed.

Being outspoken and frustrated at the whole idea of playing dumb, I'm gonna lay it all out there for you.

My sister is in the middle of a transitional phase in her life. Not a big shocker to anyone who reads her blog. She uses her blog as a means of catharsis. I understand why she does that. We know that several friends as well as family members read our blogs. That is why the boring, often mundane situations are blogged about. We know that while we may not tell our mother certain aspects of our life (for our own reasons) we also know that she'll eventually figure it out. We are both adults and both have lives of our own and we both need the chances to fall on our faces as well as succeed on our own. Ok, enough background.

So my mom called me last night and tried to play dumb. "Have you talked to your sister lately?" Nope. Sure, we emailed, chatted, text messaged, but actually talking, nope. "Oh, well have you read her blog?" I lied. I knew where she was trying to get me to go and I am sick of her fishing. "Nope, I've been too busy at work." Mom got quiet. She knew I was on to her. I point blank told her, "Mom, I am not my sister's keeper. She is an adult and can take care of herself. The phone works both ways. If you want to talk to Nat, call her." She apparently didn't like my response. She immediatly called Ayron and tried the same fishing technique. Ayron flat out told her, "Yes I know what is going on, but no I will not tell you. It is not my place. If you want to know, ask Nat." Mom told Ayron, "But I'm supposed to play dumb." She heard it through the grapevine but was apparently told, "but you didn't hear it from me" type of lines.

I immediatly texted my sister and filled her in. No sense in mom trying to sneak attack her, although we all know/knew it was coming.

WHY PLAY DUMB? We all know you know. We purposely aren't playing your game because we want/need you to learn that the phone works both ways. We also know that if we blog something, eventually mom will learn about it. If anything was a big giant secret, why the heck would be blog about it for everyone to read?

I guess I'm just sick of everyone playing dumb, not just my family. It almost never works. If I find out you were playing dumb and it wasn't for a valid reason (right now I can't think of a valid reason) in my eyes, you appear more ignorant than you would have if you had been honest. Honesty people, what a concept. Yes, I know, I lied to my mother. I'm a hypocrite. But it was not my place to discuss my sister's life. My attempt to stay neurtral backfired and I ened up looking like a shmuck. Life goes on.

Why is honesty such a hard thing for people to follow? I know that it can be a hard thing to swallow. I've been burned by the truth, but I've also been burned worse when I found out the truth.

Ok, I'll put my soap box away for now.

No comments: