Monday, February 25, 2008

Torn

I have a hard job. Physically it's not hard. Mentally and emotinally it takes a toll on you. I had two problem students. Both were in need of serious help that could not be provided here in the county.

One had court this morning and was placed in a facility that will provide the help needed by the individual. While I sort of feel like I failed the student, I also knew there was nothing I could do to help this person. I am not certified to deal with the issues this person carries on a daily basis.

I had another student who has been a situation from the start. We thought we had the whole thing under control until this morning when the box flew off the lid again. The situation was just resolved about 30 minutes ago with some help from probation and the police department. It broke my heart. I know deep down that this is the only way to get the person the help they need, but it still broke my heart. I couldn't stand to watch the cuffs go on. The sound mad me gag. I don't know how people can stay in this profession for long periods of time.

I like to think I'm making a difference. I know that I am. Last year my programs saved the county half a million dollars in placement costs, but days like today make you second guess.

No comments: