Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sympathy Contractions

I currently have a friend who is in labor. She has had a rough pregnancy and she is going early, but the doctor's are ok with it. Here is our conversation via text messages.

"Guess What? I'm in labor"

"R U at home or hospital?"

"Hosp. im 4cm. i got admitted @ 9"

"So you have nothing better to do than text me?"

"yeah, & try not 2 cry."

"we will come see you 2morrow. give you today with family and hunter."

"k! thanx. its not that bad yet. but drugs will be involved."

About a half an hour later I sent her the following text.

"Um, I'm having sympathy contractions for you. I've never had them this strong."

"Dont u go n2 labor 2!"

"I'm fine, rest and get ready to push."

"yeah, i'm getting closer 2 drugs."

"you should have packed your laptop to pass the time. they have free wi-fi. youre prob. a bit busy now though."

"jerry 4got it. but im just trying 2 get through the contractions. they r getting closer and closer."

"just rest. let us know if you need n e thing."

About an hour later, I received this text from her.

"Epidurals r great!"

I had to laugh. This girl has two tattos, one that spans from her hip up to her arm pit, her nose pierced and her ears pierced and her pain tolerance is so low. I know it's a different type of pain, but I thought she'd last longer without drugs.

My contractions haven't really let up all afternoon so I got nervous. I have another friend who is past due. I emailed her husband and told him I was having sympathy contracations and I wondered how his wife was. This is the guy who will email back in like 2 seconds flat. So far, no response...hmm...wonder if shes in labor too?!
I'm not nervous about giving birth. I'm amazed at what the human body can do. I've been reading books and have choosen the Bradley method of natural child birth. This involved no drugs, but working with your body to deliver in a natural way. I will say that I am not against drugs, but I'm not going to scream "EPIDURAL" at the first contractions. I can handle a lot of pain and was told by my surgeon (had my gallbladder out) that after that pain (my gallbladder was solid and about the size of tennis ball) child birth will be easy. I am just curious about how it will feel. I want to say that I did it natural and was completly "with it" the entire time. I will follow the advice of my nurse mid-wife but she is a firm believer in the Bradley method as well. It sounds odd, but I'm looking forward to the "pain." My mom says, "it's not pain, people just don't know what else to call it." I thought she was a bit crazy, till I read that exact same thing in my Bradley book. So mom hasn't lost it all after all. Hehe. I'm looking foward to the whole experience. People keep asking me if I'm nervous. Nope. I've done my reading, talked with others, planned with my nurse mid-wife and Ayron. My body will take over and I just have to cooperate with it.

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Sorry I didn't get back with you, we were in labor!! Bethany didn't have an epidural either time, but did use Nubaine (she was kinda stoned!).

She is WAY tougher than I am!!