Wednesday, May 30, 2007

It Hit Me

Last night Ayron and I took Pastor Adam (that just sounds odd still) out to Phil and Nikki's to look at some furniture.

On the way to the house we passed the accident scene. There is really no good way to get there without going through that intersection. The skid marks are fading, but still partially there. The tracks that Nikki's car made through the grass are still noticeable. Not as bad as they had been, but you can still tell that something happened there. Going through that intersection always makes me grateful.

When we got the house, I began talking to Nikki and I noticed a deep scar on her left leg. Dumb me, not realizing what I was saying, asked her how she got it. She has two. They are puncture marks from the door when it was crushed into her side. She wears those scars with courage and pride. As we continued talking I was recalling some events that happened the first couple of days after the accident. On the drive home, the reality of what really happened that day happened.

The accident was back in December and it just now fully hit me. Nikki is doing great, but she will never be the same. Her speech is still off, and you are reminded of that when you call the house and get the answering machine. Yes, she is still Nikki, she always will be, but she was forever changed by the accident. What if she hadn't had the care that she did right after the accident? What if a passerby tried to help and only hurt? I know these are all "what ifs" that didn't happen, but it still gets me.

Last night when I saw her, it really hit me. She is truly lucky to be here. But then again, I don't think it was luck. She is meant to be here and God made sure of that. It is amazing to me his grace and love. He choose to save someone when statistics say she should have died instantly. He choose to send HER rescue squad. He choose to send his angels to save her that day, and for that I am truly grateful.

***

We did have a death in the family yesterday. Bailey, Phil and Nikki's yellow lab, passed away. It was probably for the better. She was over 12 human years old (84 dog years) and beginning to become ill. She will be missed.

No comments: