Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Theater Etiquette

Last night we went and saw STOMP and it was fantastic. There were so many things that I had forgotten about. It was just as fun to watch Ayrons face as it was to watch the performers.

I did come to a realization though. People lack basic theater etiquette. TURN OFF YOUR FREAKIN CELL PHONE. The performers literally stopped the show and glared at the owner of the ringing phone. If nothing else, VIBRATE people.

Also, to the extremely drunk lady who sat 3 seats to my left. I'm glad you enjoyed the performance, but your constant screaming and "yeah baby" "mohawk" "woah" did get annoying. I'm glad you had a good time, but give it a rest. She was like that annoying person on a live CD who at the slightest hint of a pause will start yelling "YEAH" in hopes of hearing themselves on the CD when it is released. Oh yeah, while I do agree that the performer with a mohawk was not hard on the eyes, I'm pretty sure calling him (well yelling at him) "MOHAWK HOTTIE!" is not the applause he would like.

To the couple that walked into the performance with only 20 minutes of the show left. GET A WATCH. If you only show up for the last twenty minutes and do decide to find your seat. Don't tell everyone that you are shimmying past why you are late.

Maybe these are rules that I learned because I was lucky enough to grow up in theater. My dad acts in local plays and we were season ticket holders for The Embassy. I guess I just thought those things were common knowledge. Don't annoy those around you. Apparently I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong. I had a wonderful time. I would go see it again tonight if I could.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. TWO cell phone rings and non-stop deaf old ladies talking to each other basically ruined the Glenn Miller Orchestra/Grand Rapids Symphony concert for me this past Sunday. Oh, AND there was the completely annoying "laughs really loud and comments out loud about everything to her husband" lady at the movie on Saturday evening. I mean, it was "Amazing Grace." A few witty comments here and there, but a movie about the abolition of slavery in England isn't exactly side-splitting material or anything!

People are stuipd; and collective IQ plummets in crowds.