Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Summer...Is it here yet?

About two weeks, I realized that my usually spring antsy feeling hadn't kicked in yet. Yesterday, it did. I can't wait for summer to get here. I don't want to leave my day students. We have finally started to gel together as a group. It is really fantastic to watch one ask the other one, "Would you mind if I read your story?" Not only did he read the story, he helped the student edit and proof read the work. He wanted to make sure that his friend turned in a perfect piece of work. They, wait, correction, WE play hackie at lunch. I give up my lunch break to sit with them during theirs. It's amazing what they will tell you when you meet them on their level. As much as I get stressed, it's moments like those that make it worth it. I know that once the end of May hits, the students will go their separate ways. One will head off to a detention center for a couple of weeks. One will get a job. I'm sure a couple of them will get back into trouble.

As much as I am antsy, I don't want them to go.

No comments: