Thursday, October 09, 2008

Cost of Education

As I am in the middle of dealing with a stupid student loan mess, I have to wonder: Why the heck is the cost of post high school education SO EXPENSIVE? If we want our public to be educated beyond high school, why not make it more affordable? High Schoolers are told over and over again about the importance of college, yet many of them can't afford to go.

It seems like certain groups are being punished for seeking a high education. Because I was fortunate enough to come from a middle class family I didn't qualify for certain scholarships and financial aid programs. I took out a loan for part of my year at Purdue, now that is coming back to bite me, and hard, in the butt. I was able to pay for most of IPFW as I went and I am thankful to not have that much debt, but it just seems crazy. You struggle for 4 or 5 years to get a higher education, and then you are out in the "real world." Many people don't land their dream job, or even a job in their field upon graduation so they can't financially pay off their loans right away. It's like they are being punished for several years after college (trying to pay off loans) for wanting to better themselves.

Why not make college affordable? I'm not saying free, but affordable, to EVERYONE! I have so many students that would excel in college, but they can't afford it. Yes, I understand, there are loans and scholarships, but those are few and far between right now (thanks to our messed up economy).

I'm having a hard time just keeping track of my one loan that I did take out during my time at IPFW. I did have it set up to be automatically withdrawn from our checking account. Well, the one place got bought out by another. I got a letter in the mail and then two payment books for the same loan. Each payment book has a different amount "to be paid" on a monthly basis. So this morning, I log onto the website and attempt to resign up for the payment to be automatically withdrawn from the account. The on line statement shows me how much more I owe on the loan, but when I click on "Automatic Payment" it says I can't sign up because I currently don't owe anything. What the heck? I'm sure I could pick up the phone and call, but I left the two payment books at home and I am in no mood to deal with an automated telephone system telling me to press "1" for an option and "2" for another. Just once I'd like to hear the computer generated voice say, "To speak to an actual human who can actually help you and not forward you one to someone else, please press '1.'" What are the odds that will ever happen? Slim to none I am guessing.

It's at times like these when I wonder and think back to The Giver. Maybe they (I know it's a made up story, but imagine with me) had it right. It's all set up for you, everyone is on the same playing field...but then you run into the "Big Brother is watching" issue and I do like my privacy.

I would love to be debt free. I wish I knew what that felt like. I would be ecstatic if we only had our house payment, cell phone, car, and utilities every month. I guess I keep hoping to win the lottery, but then again you have to play to win and right now we don't have any extra money to buy a ticket with. Not that I would waste any money on a ticket. I am wondering about selling some things we have on Ebay that we dont use anymore or heck, never used. Ayron is the Ebay king though, I know nothing about it. Maybe I'll spend tomorrow cleaning and seeing just what we have and getting rid of everything we don't use.

It seems like in a time of stress I clean, which reminds me, I need to change out laundry. But getting back to my point.

Why does higher education have to be so expensive?

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Bethany and I are committed to being debt-free also, and are on a plan that we should be debt-free except our house in a little over five years. It is possible, and you might be amazed to learn how easy it is (and you know we don't have much spare money lying around!!). If you're interested, I can tell you what we're doing.