Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Do you hear yourself?

I just got off a conference call with a parent. Her son has been expelled from school. He is a middle school student. She doesn't want him to come to my program because he will hang out with bad kids who are a horrible influence. I told her, "Our students are not bad people. They messed up and are doing what they need to do to get back on path." But her mind, they are bad people because they were kicked out of school. HELLO?? Your son is kicked out of school too!!! Using her justification, if all students who are kicked out of school are bad, then her child who is no longer in school is a bad kid too!

She will be visiting this afternoon to decide if she wants her son to attend my program. Here are her options:

1.) He comes here, continues his work and doesn't fall behind. It's free for them since the school is referring them.

2.) They pay for a private education. PRIVATE = EXPENSIVE

3.) He sits at home till January and is then 9 weeks behind his peers.

To me, the choice is clear, but maybe I am biased.

No comments: