Friday, October 17, 2008

God cracks me up

I have a theory that God has an odd sense of humor. This situation might not be so much humor as an off beat way of reminding me.

It has been a year since I had a student commit suicide. Yesterday another student and I were reflecting on the events this time last year and remember the positive things the now deceased student had done for all of us. This morning I casually mentioned to some co-workers that it has been a year. They blew me off. I was upset. She was partially ignored in life, which is why she chose to leave early and they have already forgotten her. It's only been a year.

I came back to my office to think about everything. I decided it was too quiet so I turned on yahoo music and the first song that came on was Skillet's "The Last Night." I knew that was Him telling me, keep remembering her. I had never heard that song till last year right after I learned of my student's death. The song just hit home. Even now, every time I hear it I think of her. So thanks God for allowing me to remember her. I hope I never forget!

In case you haven't heard the song, here are the lyrics.

You come to me with your scars on your wrist
You tell me this will be the last night feeling like this

I just came to say goodbye
I didn't want you to see me cry,
I'm fine

But I know it's a lie

[Chorus:]This is the last night you'll spend alone
Look me in the eyes so I know you know
I'm everywhere you want me to be
The last night you'll spend alone
I'll wrap you in my arms and I won't let go
I'm everything
You need me to be

Your parents say everything is your fault
But they don't know you like I know you they don't know you at all

I'm so sick of when they say
It's just a phase, you'll be o.k. you're fine
But I know it's a lie

[Bridge:]The night is so long when everything's wrong
If you give me your hand
I will help you hold on
Tonight Tonight

[Altro:]I won't let you say goodbye
And I'll be your reason why
The last night away from me
Away from me

No comments: