Monday, October 20, 2008

What a morning

So I had a student come to me this morning and confide in me that she found out she is pregnant. She has gone to the doctor and told her family. The principal from her "home" school was in my office this morning so I encouraged her to tell the principal this morning. We have arranged what will happen with her schooling. My heart aches for this student. I have had her in both the night and the day program. She has made some serious strides towards growing up and becoming accountable for herself, but at 17 she is not ready for a child. I asked her if she was on vitamins and she said, "My mom got me some fish oil." I told her to go to Meijer today after school and get the vitamins for free from the pharmacy. I told her that I would go with her to tell her probation officer sometime this week. She wants to hide it from her PO, but I am trying to make her see that she needs to be an adult and tell her PO now.

It's just devastating because she is only 17 years old an in no shape to raise a child. I have no doubt her mother will help and the father of the child is looking for a job, but she needs to finish school first.

On the brighter side of things, another student decided he wanted a job this morning so he went out and got one! That made my day!

No comments: