Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Happy Thought

Taylor is talking up a storm lately. He loves to talk to the dog. The other day I discovered that he likes to talk to our door. I left him alone and hid out of sight. I discovered he was talking to the object above our door. We have a wooden sign that is inscribed (Jesus is the unseen guest at every meal....etc). That sign was given to me by my grandfather for my wedding.

Those of you who know me know that my grandfather passed away a couple years before my wedding. My mom bought me that sign and said it was from my grandfather. He was a carpenter and loved to work with wood. I also got a blue stone cross from my grandmother (she passed while my mother was pregnant with me and I am her namesake).

After watching him talk to the sign for awhile I shrugged it off. When Ayron came home I told him how Taylor had begun talking to no one. He wasn't just babbling. I truly think he feels he is carrying on a conversation with someone. He will talk, the pause like he is listening/waiting for a response. I told Ayron how he is always talking to the sign above the door. Ayron offered me a simple explanation: "Maybe he is talking to Grandpa Eaton."

It made me wonder, does Taylor "see" grandpa? It was a comforting thought that made me tear up. Grandpa passed way to early. He was too full of life. He didn't go without a fight, but in the end the strokes got the better of him. So now when I see Taylor talking to no one, I like to think that Grandpa and Taylor are talking about going for a motorcycle ride.

*******************************************************************************

This month will mark the 7th year anniversary of Grandpa's passing. I do believe that our loved ones who have gone before us are watching out with us and always with us. There are time when I swear I can feel them and hear them. I will never forget that funeral. It was the COOLEST funeral I have ever attended.

My grandpa was a big Goldwing fan. He was always riding his bike and he loved it. He passed away right before Thanksgiving (I can't remember the exact date). He was a member of the CMA and the week before everyone had their bikes winterized. They all decided that the best way to honor Grandpa was to ride their bikes to the church and to the cemetery. Everyone pulled their bikes out of storage and got them "de-winterized."

I'm sure that to an outsider seeing people in jeans, cowboy boots, and leather chaps was shocking, especially at a funeral. To us, it was amazing! I know he loved it. You should have heard the roar when they all started their bikes and lead the funeral procession to the cemetery.

I also remember sitting in the car at the cemetery. None of the family got out of the car right away. Why would we? There was a Michigan St. vs. Purdue football game on the radio and it was the fourth quarter. I don't remember who won, but I do remember laughing and thinking that Grandpa would have loved it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Carma!! I'm printing this for my archives. The anniversary was yesterday - Veteran's day.

Aunt Lorraine