Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Feeling Old

So today I am feeling old. Maybe it's due to lack of sleep. I was up sick all night (insert side blog here).
How come when a woman of childbearing age is sick and vomiting everyone asks her if she
is pregnant? Come on people, I just had a child. Let me get TJ potty trained before we
even attempt a second child. Between TJ, Scooter and Ayron I have my hands full.

Back to my point...I woke up and today I feel old. Here is why I feel old today.

1.) My youngest niece turns 5 at 9:30am. I remember the day she was born. My mom was actually in on the c-section. I remember holding her for the first time and how small and quiet she was. That is no longer. She has the wise cracking mouth of a trucker! She is hysterical and will always crack me up.

2.) My oldest niece just turned 12. Next year she will be a teenager! I don't think I am ready for that. She is already calculating that when she is 16, Taylor will be 4 and she will take him to football games and show him off....slow down sister, lets get through 13, 14, and 15 first! She has outgrown the High School Musical stage and I no longer know what to get her. Her present? A day of shopping with us (She likes to hang out with us, but she LOVES to hang out with TJ) in Ft. Wayne. Heck, she would be happy if we handed her TJ for a day!

3.) My husband turned 27 on Sunday. 27...I can't imagine turning 27. Ok, just kidding. I like to tease him because he is older.

4.) I have a husband. That fact alone makes me feel old. I got married young, and don't get me wrong I do not regret it. But I never thought I would get married. If you ask any of my high school friends I had decided to become a Bavarian nun and run around and sing like in The Sound of Music. I could SO pull of the dress made out of curtain look!

5.) I have a child. I am responsible for another human being. The big Man upstairs thought I was responsible enough to care for another life!

6.) My taste in music makes my students laugh. I usually play music during our breaks as a way to break up the boredom and create discussion. I recently put in a cd that came with my senior year book and the kids were laughing and calling the music "old." OLD? I graduated high school in 2001...then again, that was 7 years ago.

7.) I find myself saying, "Remember when..." like I am an old lady in a nursing home talking to my imaginary friend. Remember when we rushed inside from playing on Friday nights to catch Full House. Remember when we could play kickball in the cul-de-sac all evening.

8.) I see former students in court. While that is not always a pleasant occasion, I have seen two former students in court.

9.) Friends siblings are starting college this year. I remember when LW (if you are his older sibling you'll know who/what I am talking about) was a baby and we used to get in trouble because the walkie talkies interfered with the baby monitors.

Yeah, the more I write, the older I feel. I'm done writing!

*********************************************
From an email from LW's older brother....

"I've got another one you can add to your list - getting sick after 1 ride on the Gravitron. Christy and I went to the fair last week and decided to ride some rides. First thing we got on was the gravitron - which was my favorite ride in Auburn at the fair. I used to ride it 10 times a day on wristband nights. After one ride, I was feeling pretty green. That made me feel really old."

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

If it makes you feel any better, I turn 30 next month. Sigh.