Monday, September 15, 2008

Parenting

Ayron and I are parents of a teething almost 6 month old. When everyone asks how we stay "sane" they are amazed when I tell them we split the duties. They tell me I am lucky to have a husband who helps out. This confuses me.

Ayron and I take turns when it comes to nights (if TJ wakes up). Lately it has been rough because he is teething and sick and just plain grouchy and wakes himself up. We always ask for help from each other if we need it. If it is "your" night, you are the one responsibly for getting him up, fed, and dressed in the morning.

We take turns feeding, bathing, diapering, etc. Everyone is amazed that Ayron helps out. They are also shocked when I tell them that I expect his help just like he can expect my help. They are taken aback that I "expect" him to help. Why wouldn't I? Shouldn't the dad want to help? Afterall, he helped create the life, he can help nurture, feed, bathe, diaper, etc.

Is it really an odd thing to have a father who is willing to help take care of an infant? Am I really lucky? Are my expectations too high?

We are both working parents and we both log 35-40 hours a week. Even if I were a stay at home mother (I sometimes wish I could and I acknowledge the difficulty of this job) I would still expect Ayron to help out. I think/know that if/when baby #2 arrives (we are talking about adoption) we are both going to have to pitch in more. Why is it such a shock that Ayron helps me with Taylor? I just don't get it.

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

I think it's because so often, it's the mom that does that. Not saying it's right or proper, just the way it works out. I try to help as much as I can. When Brennan had three or so feedings a night, we alternated them.

I can't imagine not being so involved with the care of the boys. I think I have a much closer relationship with them both because I am responsible for a lot of their care.