Friday, September 12, 2008

Quote of the Day

"Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't. In face of what we can lose in a day, in an instant, wonder what the hell it is that make us hold it together." - Gray's Anatomy

I was half awake watching the Gray's rerun last night and I love the things that Meredith's character says. They always make me think.

What holds you together? To be honest, I am not sure I could pin point the one thing that holds me together. I know that mental issues run in my family and for some reason it appears that I am one of the lucky ones who has not had battles with any diseases. I know that my life is still young and the probability is good, but for now I am grateful. But I have to wonder, what does keep me from going crazy at the end of the day.

I think time, or the lack of, is part of what allows me to hold it together. I simply don't have the time for a mental breakdown. I have a son, husband, dog, students, family, employees, church family, friends, etc.

Faith is another "glue" that helps me hold it all together. I don't know how people make it thought the day without a belief in something. I am not going to use this as a soapbox to promote my faith, I am just stating, without a belief in someone higher and an after life, how do you make it through this life? How can someone make it through a day, let alone a lifetime not believing in an afterlife? Wouldn't it be depressing to think "I die and that's it."? It is so much more rewarding and encouraging to think, "One day I will leave these problems behind and walk the streets of gold."

What keeps you from going crazy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree - Meridith says things that make a lot of sense. I also have to agree with you - Faith, Family and Friends are the only thing that has gotten me this far. - Tyler