Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Baking Soda to the Rescue

Ayron had his soccer tournament last night and they came in third. It was a good match and everyone was cheering them on. The team they lost to is not invited to play at the CCC next session and every other team doesn't like them. So it was cool to see everyone cheering for our team. But, back to my story.

We got home from soccer around 9:30 and since neither one of us had eaten a dinner I decided to make my speciality, mac and cheese. After Ayron was done cleaning up he came out to the kitchen to help. The water had just started to boil and I was elbow deep in dishwater so Ayron added the pasta and turned back to the sink to help me rinse. He heard to pops and turned to look at the stove. The burner was on fire. He looked at me and said, "Um...fire." Not loud, not in a panic, just like it was no big deal. He grabbed a pot holder and moved the pot. He realized that it was stuff that had boiled over the previous night that was on fire. We tried to smother it with the pan lid, but that didn't work. I reached above the side of the stove that wasn't on fire and grabbed the baking soda. Ayron used it to cover the flames and the fire went out. It wasn't a big fire, but normally I would have been screaming my head off. But we were calm. After the fact when we got back to washing the dishes Ayron said, "We should have let it go, then we could have collected the insurance money." I did not find that funny at all. I'm just thankful that God inspired me to do the dishes because had we not been in the kitchen, we wouldn't have noticed the fire until it got big enough to set the cupboard on fire, and by that point it would have been too late.

I think when I go to Wal-Mart today for work I'll pick up a fire extinguisher.

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Wow. I'm glad you guys were able to stay calm. I would have wet myself.